Wednesday, June 1, 2016

60th Anniversary Yamaha XSR900 in NYC

60th Anniversary Yamaha XSR900 in NYC: The first few days



After a year and a half of owning the Yamaha  FZ-07, I traded it in for the 2016 Yamaha XRS900 60th Anniversary edition. I rode the bike home earlier this week on a rainy day and I couldn't be happier. The XRS900 (X9) rides so smoothly! I had no complaints about the FZ-07 except for the cheap plastic parts, but the X9 is on a totally different level.

The 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 I traded in.


Here's a picture of the dealer putting on the plates.

For my first ride, I was advised by the dealer to ride in "B" mode at first, but after scrolling through the modes, I was as comfortable in "A" mode. What made me trade my FZ-07 in for this the XSR900 was sitting on one at the dealership. The bike just felt like it wanted to go home with me. This was last Wednesday, and by Monday I picked up my very own Anniversary edition.

After riding the bike home, I noticed that plastic center tank cover was starting to scratch already. This sent me on the hunt for a quick solution. I stopped by a vinyl wrap shop and they quoted me $50 to wrap the center tank cover. I also looked online and I considered the Techspec tank pads on Revzilla, but the size I wanted was sold out. My next plan was to visit a local motorcycle shop.

I ended up at Union Garage in Brooklyn (www.uniongaragenyc.com). Union Garage NYC | Quality Motorcycle Gear[/url]) and was blown away by all the nice gear that they carried. It was the best motorcycle gear shop I've been in and the people were really nice. Union Garage focuses on cafe racer style gear, so they didn't have a tank pad. I ended up picking up a pair of Biltwell goggles to match my Bell Rogue helmet. Even though I saw the goggles for $25 on eBay, I ended up paying $35 plus tax because I like supporting local businesses.

Upon leaving Union Garage, I ran into a new Raven FZ-07 owner and shared some advice about the bike. The next day, today, I went to  local motorcycle dealer and looked for a tank pad. They only had a few that were designed for sport bikes and the guy at the shop told me that they will leave sticky residue on the tank. The next stop was Auto Zone. I didn't know exact what I was looking for, plastidip, racing stripes,??? I ended up buying a sheet of flat black 3M vinyl wrap and a sticker remover kit.

I went home and use a heat gun and the sticker remover on the warning sticker and then the "60th Anniversary" sticker and I wrapped the plastic middle tank cover.
I liked the way that the matte black looked on the bike because it flowed with the matte look of the seat. I've never used vinyl wrap before so the job didn't come out perfect.


I wanted to try something else, so I cut the sides of the vinyl wrap off and reattached the "60th anniversary" sticker in a different location with 3M tape.




That's it for today, but I want to finish the tank with some sort of pin stipe on the edges of the vinyl wrap to tighten it up. Maybe a white line, maybe black, maybe checkered, maybe reflective???

After finishing reinstalling the tank covers, I went for a ride. Wow the XSR900 is an amazing bike. I wouldn't be surprised if it wins Bike of the Year in some of the magazines. My journey with this bike is just beginning.

.... To be continued



P.S.
The only thing that bothers me about the 60th anniversary yellow is that it attracts little flying insects. I first noticed it outside the dealership and now whenever the bike is uncovered. I might have to get the brushed aluminum side panels and use the yellow ones in the fall and winter, or just wait until the blue or another color becomes available later this year or next year....


2 comments:

  1. At which dealer did you purchase your bike? I'm really interested in these but not sure between xsr900 and fz-09.
    Congrats and I really like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete